Tag Archives: beanie

WIP Wed: Comfort Hat

Standard

To be honest, I’ve done a miserably small amount of knitting since  I finished my socks almost a week ago. All I have to show for it is just the very, very beginning of a hat.

P1000963

You can’t really tell right now, but it’s the beginning of an Aberdeen Ave. hat, a delightfully cabled beanie from Glenna C.’s Urban Collection (oh yeah, the same Urban Collection my Locke St. Cardigan came from. I’m sure this will be a good one!). I’m using Knit Picks City Tweed HW (55% Merino, 25% Alpaca, 20% Rayon), which is much more of an Aran/Heavy Worsted, so I ended up going up a needle size. I had a friend who’s rather late Christmas request was a slouchy hat. She isn’t exactly adventurous in her style, so I’m hoping this extra bit of width and length, coupled with the fiber content of the yarn, will make her happy. We’ll see how it turns out!

P1000964

Well, I’m off to get some more studying done. I’ve done an embarrassingly small amount of work for my final this afternoon, so I should probably take care of that. For more WIP Wed. posts, check out Tami’s.

Advertisements

FO Friday: Leafy Tops II

Standard

All squooshed because I haven't exactly blocked it, yet...

I finished my second Leafy Tops Hat! For those of you who don’t remember, this is actually my own design. When I asked my sister to model the original sample, however, she completely fell in love with it, so I HAD to give it to her for Hanukah. I mean, what is there not to like about this thing? The stockinette is flecked with tweedy goodness for some interest, and the lace decreases are oh so cool.

It is finished and I am happy!

I completely am in love with the finished fabric the yarn produces. Although the Knit One, Crochet Too Brae Tweed (60% Merino, 20% Llama, 10% Wool, 10% Bamboo) is, as a single ply, a little bit splitty, the AMAZING fiber content is so drapey and warm that no one can resist it.

Looking down from the top.

I had to do just a bit of modding on this one. I wasn’t really paying attention to how long my stockinette portion was, so I think I may have knit almost a 1/2″ too far. The first time, I ran out of yarn with about 10 rows of decreases to go. I frogged back and got rid of 2 rounds of stockinette, but I could still feel my yarn running out. I had to switch to decreasing every row about 2 rows early, but I think it still came out OK. Laying flat, it’s a little bit scrunchy, but that could be because it hasn’t been blocked yet. On my head it lays perfectly flat.

Also, I may have forgotten that my interchangable US6 needles were on the sweater that I may have unfairly left to work on this project. I was feeling a little bit too lazy to search out another pair, so I just did the ribbing on the same needles as the rest of the body. There’s a slight pucker as I switched from the ribbing to the stockinette, but it’s not too bad. I’ve decided to let it go and live with it 😉

Artsy shot of me looking out the window.

For more FO Friday posts, don’t forget to check out Tami’s!