Let me tell you guys, I followed the directions on the Rocky Coast Cardigan to the T. I ignored that niggling voice in the back of my head that said ‘this is too tight to ever fit your flabby arms.’ I ignored it so hard, that I didn’t even look for errata. Woops. Anyways, when I followed the directions, I got something that looked like this. Basically, not only was it so tight that it pulled at my paper-thin Old Navy T-Shit, but in order to stretch around my arm it had to shrink about 2 inches length-wise. It looked a little something like this:
Now, it looks like this:
Yes. I frogged. I frogged and I frogged and I frogged until there was no more sleeve left. And then I was reading my blog roll, and found Audry’s post about HER Rocky Coast Cardigan, and I figured it out. I had done everything right, but the sizing on the pattern was so off that the designer had to post notes about the dimensions, which I somehow had never seen before. Silly me. Hannah’s new instructions tell you to add extra increases on the raglan yoke in order to make the dimensions correct. I don’t think I’m prepared to frog the whole body of the sweater in order to get back to that point, but this time I’ll probably pick up at least 8 stitches under the arms instead of the 4 that the pattern tells you to. I’ll probably wait a lot longer until doing my decreases, and I’ll definitely make the sleeves extra long so I can block them plenty hard width-wise while keeping my length.
Of course, this is all in the future. That magical time when I don’t have excessive amounts of work for classes, or events to plan, or extra-curriculars to attend. If that time doesn’t come soon, I don’t know what I’m going to do.