Today I want to finally get back to talk about what I’m knitting RIGHT NOW, instead of introducing patterns that I actually knitted DAYS, if not WEEKS ago. So, let’s get started! I ended up marathon knitting my second slanted sock. It’s not that I wanted to work on it. In fact, I had a little but of second sock syndrome. Shhhh. Don’t tell. I just wouldn’t let myself work on anything else until I finished the socks. Couple that with a “How I Met Your Mother” Marathon on netflix, and by the time I was halfway up the foot I was feeling the pattern again.
Of course, this was only the second time I’ve used Judy’s Magic Cast On for toe up socks (and the first time was the first sock in this pair!). I somehow managed to turn the sock inside out on the first row, giving it a single purl ridge right at the tip of the toe. Honestly, it doesn’t look that bad. I was so happy that I had finally gotten the right number of stitches without flip-flopping the direction of the yarn that I didn’t rip it out right at the beginning, and I’m certainly not ripping it now. And if I was doing a more textured sock, I might even purposefully do it!
In summary, these socks are made out of Knit One, Crochet Two Croc-O-Dye in a light blue/light green/white colorway. I used the Basic Slip Stitch Heel sock pattern from Wendy Johnson’s Socks from the Toe Up with just a couple of mods. Taking into account my super-tight sock knitting tendencies, I made up a size between the Med. and Large, changing the stitch count. To get the slant waves, I used a yo, k2, ssk, k5 stitch pattern on one sock (alternating with knit rows), and a k2tog, k2, yo, k5 knit pattern on the other sock (also alternating with knit rows), making two socks that go in opposite directions. It ended up being a fun little knit. The stitch pattern was simple enough to do while watching TV, and the yarn was a great colorway. It did get a little splitty at times, but that might have been my unreasonably tight/OCD guage.
In other news, after talking about it for what seems like FOREVER, I’ve finally cast on the Nantes Hat, the lacey/cabley confection from the last issue of Interweave Knits. I’m just making it out of Patons Classic Wool (100% wool) from my stash in a slightly darker than lime green colorway. The yarn isn’t anything special (in fact, I think I originally bought it for felting but never actually did anything with it), but it will show off the crazy awesomeness of the pattern pretty well. Here’s the ravelry link to my project page. Still, in the end, I think I’m going to give it away. As much as I think I’ll love it, I just have too many hats, and I do have a recipient in mind. My friend has an early January Birthday, so I was going to ship her a double Christmas/Bday present sometime soon. She’s already getting my green sample Flying Home Scarf (new pattern!) in Frog Tree Alpaca sportweight, so adding a hat will really make it a nice, round double present!