Nutty Socks

Standard

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently cast on for what I affectionately call my nutty socks. The pattern is nutkin, and I’m using some Malabrigo sock in a delightful purple and green colorway that is completely entrancing. ENTRANCING.

At least, I think it’s the colorway that’s entrancing. It could be the stitch pattern- which is simple and short enough to easily memorize, but complex enough to keep me interested and ready FOR THAT NEXT ROW.

I just want to talk a little bit about the wonky cast on that this pattern calls for. First, you knit five rows stockinette, then a purl row, and then another six rows stockinette. After that you sorta double up the fabric by using the purl row as a sort of hinge, picking up a stitch from the cast on row and knitting it together with the corresponding stitch on the needle. I guess this makes a really thick sock, but it is SO FIDDLY. Of course, I used my second color to do this, and the dark green really isn’t easy to see. As a result, my doubled edge looks a little strange, but it IS on the inside, so who really cares. If I ever knit this pattern again, I would probably just do some sort of ribbing instead to make my life a little easier.

I don't think you're supposed to see that bit of green purl down there...right?

I’ve used about half of my malabrigo skein already for a lace shawlette pattern, so I used my trusty little yarn scale to half that again, so that hopefully I can use almost all of that up. I pulled out some Knit Picks Stroll to use as a contrast color on the heels and toes- it’s a little thicker, and that stuff is scarily strong. Of course, the nutkin pattern is for top-down socks, and I was too lazy to actually convert the pattern into toe-up, which would have made using all of my yarn much, much easier. As it is, I ended up getting about 2/3 of the way down the foot before I realized that I would have a bunch of yarn left over, so I ended up ripping all the way back to the leg and adding another repeat. I bet if I hadn’t done that I would be finished with my first sock by now…oh well.

mini-skein! and it's even with my other mini-skein! go me!

Finally, I did end up changing the heel, too. I tried doing it as the pattern called for, but I must have messed something up along the way. It didn’t really look like much of a heel, and it had lacey holes in it…something that I don’t really favor in my sturdy heels. I used the Yarn Harlot’s basic slip-stitch heel, which I actually have in my copy of Knitting Rules. Unfortunately, my copy is also on my shelf at home, so I found it online here. Magically, it had the exact same number of stitches as my sock/heel does, so that worked out very well. In the end, I think it looks pretty awesome, and it’ll fit my foot. Probably.

most of the way down the foot...oh yeah!

And for those of you who are wondering what happened to my design project, the actual knitting part is completely finished. I have absolutely no idea what happened to my blocking pins, so I’m gonna need to find them/buy new ones before I can do anything like having finished object pictures. And although I have written about half of the pattern, I don’t want to put it out in the world before I can put in some pretty pretty pictures. I absolutely promise that, at the very latest, it will be out in two weeks, right after thanksgiving.

Advertisements

2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s