Scarfing it out


First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for all of the lovely comments about the hat in Araucania Panguipulli. It really makes me feel awesome that you guys are as charmed by it as I am!

huge and pretty impossible to photography pre-blocking...great

Because the stitch pattern is so simple and addictive, I’ve basically knocked the scarf out in a couple of days. The most tedious part was re-winding my yarn in smaller, even skeins so that I would be able to figure out how to do the chunky-stripe style repeats (to mix the skeins that are so radically different, even though they are the same color-way and dye lot). I did it with the help of my brand-new scale. It’s really small, but it was also only $7 on amazon INCLUDING shipping, so I think that it was a win.

I think I'm going to name him Leopold

In the end, I decided to divide my untouched 100g skein into four 25g mini-skeins, which I learned is about 13 inches of knitted up scarf. I had used a little over half of my other skein for my hat, leaving me with 42g. To stripe it with the other skein, I made three little 14g mini-skeins, each knitting up to about 10 inches of scarf. Something about the thrill of striping, and probably the quickness that a skein of 14g gets used up made me finish this scarf very, very quickly. Like, hardly ever put it down quickly. Luckily, I was finished before it could REALLY become a problem.

design sketch...

Here’s my completely knit scarf. The skein changes aren’t really that noticeable unless you know what to look for. When you don’t, it just looks like the yarn is especially variegated. All in all, I think this was a pretty big success! Of course, the scarf has a bunch of ends that still need weaving in, and I can’t find my blocking pins for the life of me (not under my bed, not in my desk, maybe they’re hiding in my dresser??), so it’s a long way to go until I can declare this an official FO and write up the pattern, but that hasn’t stopped me from casting on another project.

moving along surprisingly quickly!

Here’s nutkin, using Malabrigo Sock. You’ll probably recognize the pattern from when I talked about it in the sock patter round-up a couple of weeks ago. Here it is, proof that I actually DO knit projects from my ravelry quene! Anyway, this pattern has a really interesting cuff construction, and I’m sure I’ll have plenty to talk about in the next blog entry.


2 responses »

  1. Pingback: WIP’s and FO’s | collegeknitting

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s